Closing Date: 24 May 2019
Interview Date: 31 May 2019
Location: Canolfan Maerdy, New Road, Tairgwaith, SA18 1UP
Hours: 25 hours per week
Canolfan Maerdy is a registered charity and company limited by guarantee, operating a busy community resource centre, serving people living in and around the Upper Amman and Twrch Valleys.
The Centre’s services and activities briefly comprise childcare for ages 0 to 11 years, youth work for ages 11+, fresh food bank, courses for adults and young people, social activities, exercise and craft activities, community café, welfare support, job search facilities and office services.
The Operations Manager will play a key role in ensuring the management and smooth running of Canolfan Maerdy. The post holder will work with external partners and linked providers and be responsible for all aspects of service operations, ensuring delivery of services in line with contract and funder requirements, achieving high quality, positive outcomes for service users.
This is a new role within the charity. The post holder will have responsibility for the performance and development of internal services and operations. The post offers significant opportunities for innovation, development and growth of existing services, working closely with counterpart roles in other organisations, and contributing to joint development and working groups locally and regionally. An important aspect of the job is to develop the social business and identify new opportunities by means of effective marketing, networking and innovative solutions. Working closely with the Chief Executive Officer, Trustees, other staff, volunteers, local statutory, voluntary and commercial sector organisations and importantly, the community, the Centre Manager will work to ensure Canolfan Maerdy is a vibrant, happy, well-managed facility that operates for the benefit of local residents and organisations within a sustainable framework.
The Centre Manager will be self-motivated and passionate about community development and ensuring quality services are available to meet the needs of local people. The post holder will require business and financial acumen to ensure that current and future operations continue on a sustainable and viable basis and can evidence positive outcomes and value in the communities in which we operate. The Chief Executive Officer, as line manager, will support and mentor the new Centre Manager to aid her/him in achieving their full potential within the role.
Canolfan Maerdy is a registered charity and runs a busy community resource centre in Tairgwaith.The Centre runs
- A bi-lingual nursery for children aged 0-11, which is open 7.30am to 6pm Monday to Friday. The nursery is also a Flying Start setting and provides 30 hour free childcare/early learning for 3 – 4 year olds under the Welsh Government Scheme for working parents.
- A thriving youth group for ages 11+,. The group currently meet two evenings per week (Wednesdays and Thursdays, 5.30pm to 8pm) and provides a wide range of activities, learning opportunities and support for young people with different interests and needs. Youth activities also take place during the day time during school holidays and provides free lunches for the young people to help prevent food poverty when the schools are not open for free school meals.
- A very busy free food hub, which distributes surplus fresh food from local supermarkets for the local community. The Food Hub is open between 9.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday and sometimes opens on weekends and bank holidays, depending on volunteer availability. There is no criteria for accessing the food; we simply ask that you bring your own bags and egg boxes and initial the sheet, stating how many people the food will benefit and where you live.
- Community café, which also cooks meals for the nursery and youth group and local community. The chef also runs cookery classes to help people make easy, healthy, delicious food on a tight budget.
- Adult training courses- run in partnership with Adult Learning Wales and other course providers. Free courses and concessionary discounts often available.
- Social activities for all age groups including a parent/baby/toddler group and luncheon club.
- Volunteering, student placement and apprenticeship opportunities